Your kids don't have to be budding Michael Jordans to enjoy shooting hoops - almost anyone can play!
Basketball was invented in 1891 by a Canadian and was introduced to New Zealand by the YMCA. Basketball is popular around the world, particularly in the US.
It's a fun activity for kids of all ages!
A video of Basketball for Kids
Information on basketball for kids in new zealand
Is basketball the right sport for your kids?
Basketball is a great kids activity. There are many basketball clubs located throughout New Zealand, offering children the opportunity to learn and compete in tournaments and leagues reaching up to professional level. Playing basketball has many advantages, including:
- Improving physical strength, especially endurance
- Teaching teamwork skills
- Imparting strategic skills
- Promoting social bonding
- Developing hand-eye coordination
- Building cardiovascular fitness
- Improving precision and control skills
As basketball is fairly high intensity it suits children with a lot of energy to burn. Height is an asset but not essential, especially at a young age.
Get your kids started!
Most basketball clubs take children from the age of six, but there are lots of options for younger children who want to develop their skills. Many parks and public areas have basketball hoops, or you could buy one for your child to practice with at home. For an even cheaper option, you can pick up a small plastic hoop for your child's room from most toy stores.
If your child plans to play at home or in a public space, keep in mind the following tips:
- Basketball can be hard on the ankles - make your children's shoes have sufficient support
- If your child wears glasses or contacts you may want to consider protective plastic eyewear
- Make sure any public area you play on is free of broken glass and other potential hazards
- Always warm up before playing
- Ensure kids are supervised by a responsible adult
For parents in search of formal tuition for their children, The National Basketball League offers a great programme for primary school-aged kids. Classes are run in schools or you can check in the ActiveActivities directory can help you find venues in your area.
To get started, your child will need access to::
- A hoop
- A ball
- Loose, comfortable clothing
- Good quality sports shoes
- Knee pads
- A mouthguards
Basketball is played all year round, but registration is usually around February/March, or September/October (before the summer and winter seasons, respectively). Contact your local basketball club for prices and details.
Stars and events not to be missed!
There are two professional basketball leagues in New Zealand, the National Basketball League (NBL) and the Women's Basketball League (WBL). The New Zealand men's team is the Breakers, and the women's team is the Tall Ferns